Why is it so easy to fall back into old patterns and behaviors? If the 2 Corinthians 5:17 declares that I am a new/fresh creature, why is it so easy for me to live in the ways of the old, but so difficult for me to live in this new life, this newness to which I have been reborn? Why can I still find myself so easily reverting back to old ways of life? Have I truly had a rebirthing experience? Have I really allowed myself to be transformed?
Though I have come to accept Jesus Christ as my savior, why is it so easy for me to crucify him again by my actions? If I truly love God, why is it so difficult for me to obey his commands?
I think this is a condition from which many “Christians” today suffer. We spend so little time invested in our new way of life that it is difficult to live out in the new life. Therefore, it is easier to do things as I have always done them. See, in order to live out a new life, doing things a different way, there has to be a process of relearning. I have to be willing to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) which doesn’t fight to run off the sacrificial pyre when it gets too hot or too uncomfortable.
I believe there is a two part answer to my question. Why is it so easy to fall back into old pattern of behavior? First, because we have not transformed our minds as we are told to do in Romans 12: 2. We are trying to live a new life with old patterns of thought. What does it take to renew your mind? It takes a complete reprogramming which begins with a daily commitment to read the Word of God and to pray or talk with God on a daily basis. How else do I reprogram my mind if not by learning first hand from the One who is reprogramming me? I need to allow the Holy Spirit to do a work in me of complete transformation, so that I am able to live my life with new thoughts following after Godly patterns. Second, I must do as Epehesians 4:24 commands; I must put on my new self. I have to daily wake up and decide to take up the new person that I have been transformed into.
I am sure the problem lies in not beginning the day correctly. Many of us think to talk to God at the end of the day, when the printer doesn’t work, when the street lights aren’t changing fast enough, or when we check our bank account. However, few of us remember to start off our day talking with God, dialoguing with Him, having a two way conversation, so that I am equipped with the new me before I walk out of my bedroom door. Oh! That we would all decide to effectively walk in the new creature that God has transformed us into on the day of our conversion! That we would all decide to live according to his principles, obeying his commands, loving God and each other!
No comments:
Post a Comment